Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

LibriVox--Book Voice

Have you heard of LibriVox? I hadn't until a few weeks ago, and now it is one of my favorite things! LibriVox is a website devoted to audiobooks. All of the books on the site are in the public domain (meaning they were published before 1923, so no one can sue over copyright issues). The neatest part is that it is all run by volunteers and it's all free. People record themselves reading a book, and then you can download and listen to them. Some readers are better than others, but everyone is just a regular person that loves reading. Anyone can volunteer. (I've signed up, but haven't read anything yet). You can read a whole book, or work with other volunteers and just read a few chapters. They also have short stories and poetry.

What kind of books are public domain? The classics: Anne of Green Gables, Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, The Secret Garden, A Christmas Carol, etc. Some of the authors include Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and hundreds more.

I love to listen to books while I do dishes, or while I'm cross stitching. I've had so much fun with this, so I thought I'd share it with you. (If you have any other questions, you can go HERE). Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. hey there! Thanks for the lovely comment on my guitar video - much appreciated! And also for allowing me the pleasure of finding your blog! Loved the post on Lava cake! yummy! x

    myheartstumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete